Complaint Letter sent to DOH-HFSRB

Renato
Posted: 27 days ago
Good day!

Furnishing you a copy of the complaint letter we sent to Secretary Duque as advised by HFSRB.

Thank you.

-------------------------------------

25 September 2020

Dr. FRANCISCO T. DUQUE III, MSc
Secretary
Department of Health Philippines
San Lazaro Compound, Tayuman
Manila Philippines

Dear Secretary Duque:

I hope that you are safe and well. As advised by the Health Facilities and Services Regulatory Bureau (HFSRB), we would like to file a complaint against Best Diagnostic Clinic located at 94 Masikap Street, Diliman, Quezon City. The establishment has the following details:

License to Operate a Laboratory No. GCL-3-0146-3-P
License to Operate X-ray Facility No. NCR-M-1303
License to Operate Mobile X-ray Facility No. NCR-T-258
Accreditation for Drug Testing Laboratory No.13-0047-08-PFSS-R
Securities & Exchange Commission Registration No. A200208380
Quezon City Business Permit No. 05-001564
Accreditation Quezon City Health Department No. 027-08

Below is the series of events that transpired which led us in lodging this complaint.

1.  On 31 July 2020, my father, Renato R. Reyes) and I went to Best Diagnostic Clinic in Diliman, Quezon City for some tests. Mr. Reyes is a senior citizen, diagnosed with COPD and Grade 2 prostate enlargement, and is thus considered a high-risk and vulnerable patient amidst the current pandemic. My father is also scheduled for shockwave therapy at the National Kidney and Transplant Institute (NKTI) this last week of September 2020. We requested and paid for the following tests with the accompanying notes from my father’s attending physician:

Repeat serum creatinine,  BUN, PSA urinalysis KUB- prostate ultrasound with
pre and post-void volume

Note to the ultrasound technician or sonologist: Please do not over distend the bladder. Fill the bladder up to 300-350 cc. Only then should you let the patient urinate and get the residual urine. Take note that if you over distend the bladder,  you will get a  false reading of a very significant residual urine

2.  However, we were informed that the technician did not carry out the KUB ultrasound when we were about to get the results and we were asked to come back to the clinic instead. Unfortunately, this also meant an increased risk for my father. Since the quarantine started, we have made every effort to minimize going out unless necessary, as my father’s condition made him highly vulnerable to COVID-19.

3.  In preparation for my father’s medical procedure at the NKTI, we went to Best Diagnostic Clinic on 15 September 2020, to have the following laboratory tests carried out:

a.  CBC
b.  Chest X-Ray
c.  ECG
d.  Urinalysis
e.  APTT (Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time)
f.  PT (Prothrombin Time)

4.  The following morning, we received a call from Best Diagnostic Clinic requesting that my father be brought back to the clinic. We were informed that they failed to extract the blood specimen for his APTT and PT tests. I requested that they verify their records first since they already got 2 vials (6 CC) of blood from my father. After repeatedly calling their clinic to ask if my father had to go back, I was informed by Ms. Roan, who answered the call, that there was no need to return as they did get the specimen.

5.  On the afternoon of 16 September 2020, I called Best Diagnostic Clinic to ask if the results for the tests were already available for pick-up. Unfortunately, no one answered until late afternoon. At around 5:00 p.m., I was able to talk with Ms. Jen from their Marketing Department. She informed me that they could not find the request we submitted and were thus unable to verify if the APTT/PT tests were carried out. In response, I gave them a photo of the request we submitted. We were then notified that the APTT/PT tests were, indeed, not carried out. As such, they requested us to return to the clinic. Given the risk of going out, we agreed to have the specimen extracted through home
Renato
Posted: 27 days ago

5.  On the afternoon of 16 September 2020, I called Best Diagnostic Clinic to ask if the results for the tests were already available for pick-up. Unfortunately, no one answered until late afternoon. At around 5:00 p.m., I was able to talk with Ms. Jen from their Marketing Department. She informed me that they could not find the request we submitted and were thus unable to verify if the APTT/PT tests were carried out. In response, I gave them a photo of the request we submitted. We were then notified that the APTT/PT tests were, indeed, not carried out. As such, they requested us to return to the clinic. Given the risk of going out, we agreed to have the specimen extracted through home service instead. This incident resulted in the delay of my father’s procedure at NKTI.

6.  On 17 September 2020, one of their staff went to our house to get the needed specimen. The blood extraction was carried out between 9:15 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Best Diagnostic Clinic committed and reassured us that the results would be provided by noon since we also needed to submit them to NKTI as we were already behind schedule.

7.  However, when I asked my sister to pick up the results at around noon on 17 September 2020, I was informed that no one at the clinic attended to her except the guard on duty. This was after my sister’s efforts to go out during her lunch break at work to get the results.

8.  Since this incident, I’ve been calling up Best Diagnostic Clinic. I was able to talk to their HR Manager, Ms. Marie Balingit, and I explained to her the situation. Ms. Balingit shared that she was not aware of negligence happening under her watch. To resolve the issue, I requested to meet the owner of Best Diagnostic Clinic instead. Ms. Balingit assured me that she would get back as soon as she could get a confirmation of the clinic owner’s schedule. Due to data privacy laws, she could not provide me the name of the owner/manager of the clinic as well.

9.  Unfortunately, I have not received any update from Ms. Balingit nor any representative from Best Diagnostic Clinic. I have already called multiple times to talk to her but have not received any response.

10.  We were also informed during a visit with my father’s cardiologist last 22 September 2020 that we needed to have the laboratory tests repeated. According to him, the results appear to be inaccurate and fault.

In light of what transpired, we would like to request the office of the Honorable Health Secretary if the following actions may be taken:

a.  Conduct a visit and thorough investigation of the Best Diagnostic Clinic, reviewing their records, operational processes, and practices, given what appears to be the incompetence in their delivery of healthcare services;
b.  Speak to the owner/manager and HR Manager of Best Diagnostic Clinic to clarify the status of our requests for updates;
c.  Enjoin Best Diagnostic Clinic to refund us for the laboratory and diagnostic services we availed from them, specifically those carried out on the following dates: 31 July 2020 and 14 September 2020 and;
d.  Prescribe that Best Diagnostic Clinic recompense use for the undue inconvenience and risk they caused to my father, who is a high-risk and vulnerable patient whose urgent medical procedure was delayed due to the establishment’s incompetence.