Animal Bite Clinic
Animal bites pose a major public health problem in children and adults worldwide. The health impacts of animal bites are dependent on the type and health of the animal species, the size and health of the bitten person, and accessibility to appropriate health care.
- Infection results in encephalomyelitis.
- The incubation period is usually 3-12 weeks but the range is 4 days to 19 years.
- Onset is insidious - wound paraesthesia, headache, fever, malaise.
- Progression is to hydrophobia, hallucinations, paralysis and coma.
- Death results from respiratory paralysis.
Rabies vaccine available:
PVRV: (Purified Vero Rabies Vaccine) or Verorab